This is a trip blog about my sailing adventures.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Rapids and Dent Island

The first set of rapids were relatively easy, like a mis-timed run on Cattle Pass.  I anchored at Dent Island between Dent Lodge and Morgan's Landing.  In the morning things got a bit interesting.  One of the 100 ft power boats that had passed me in the rapids didn't check his charts while leaving.  There is a section of that little nook that is 0 3 on the charts, i.e. less than 1 meter.  They hit solid, and unfortunately right across from my little boat.

Not much I could do.  They had a full crew and one out on a dinghy.  So I just sat there with my cup of tea, watching.  They worked it for a while and all that happened was their managing to turn sideways, placing their stern right in line with my boat.  Not Happy.

I wasn't sure what to do.  Finally I decided to pull myself forward via my anchor rope.  It worked....well, it made me feel better.  Next time I will anchor in Mermaid.


Dent Rapids were an easy run and I sailed into Shoal Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment