This is a trip blog about my sailing adventures.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Anchoring at Shoal Bay

So I don't have a depth sounder on the boat.  Usually this isn't an issue as I do have a leadline.  However leadlines really need to be used at less than 4 knots... a lot less.

When I got to Shoal Bay it was blowing fairly briskly from the head of the bay. No worries; a little short tacking and I will be golden.  Wrong.  I miscalculated.  I dropped my anchor in what I thought was 50 ft. Try 150 ft. I was blasting toward the shore at 3.5 knots and the anchor hadn't bitten down at all.  So I pulled the plug and off I went back out.

Now I had a little bit of an issue.  I had my anchor down with 100 ft of rope out doing 4.5 knots across the mouth of an anchorage with just my main up.  What to do, what to do...

First thing, anchor up.  Not so easy.  Slowed the boat down and went forward to start pulling it up.  At this point couple of guys came up offered to dinghy me in closer.  So for the second time I took an offer of a tow.

Damn, I must be getting soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment